THE BITTER SPLIT
featuring Split Shot Espresso Milk Stout
Recipe by Tyson Heriot at Elysian Bar
- 3.0 oz Elysian Split Shot Espresso Milk Stout
- 0.5 oz Angostura Bitters
- 0.5 oz Giffard Orgeat (Almond Syrup)
- 0.5 oz Giffard Creme de Mure (Blackberry Liqueur)
Lightly-whipped, vanilla heavy Cream: Heavy cream with 3 dashes of pure vanilla extract, lightly whipped; this should be at a consistency which enables it to float on top of the beverage while remaining fluid.
- Shake bitters, almond syrup, and blackberry liqueur with crushed ice and strain into goblet
- Add Elysian Split Shot
- Gently pour lightly-whipped heavy cream over a bar spoon and float on top of beverage
Touch a straw gently to the top of the beverage and lightly swirl heavy cream (without mixing) to create an appealing presentation.
Angostura bitters is found in every Bar, yet aside from being used sparingly in manhattans or old-fashions, this ingredient is often overlooked. Blending Angostura bitters with almond syrup and blackberry liqueur creates a rich, full-bodied combination that perfectly complements the distinguished presence of coffee in Elysian’s Split-Shot Espresso Milk Stout. Topped with lightly-whipped vanilla cream, this rich and well-rounded cocktail serves as an excellent finishing touch to an evening out, or perhaps as a remedy for the suffering lovers indulging away a recent, Bitter Split.